Extra-curricular opportunities and trips offered at our Sussex independent school, Sompting Abbotts Preparatory School
Education at Sompting Abbotts is definitely not just about academics! It's about facilitating experiences, igniting enthusiasm and discovering talents outside the classroom ...
Whether your child's a techie and desperate to learn coding; a history head and fascinated by the Vikings; a sports-lover, aspiring ballerina or would-be thespian, we've a club to help fulfil passions. We also offer private music tuition through our team of specialist music staff and Speech and Drama and LAMDA training.
We plan lots of activities to inspire pupils to try new pursuits. Plus regular county sports fixtures, drama performances, orchestral, choir and musical concerts, and a busy calendar of school trips. Here's a taste of extra-curricular life at Sompting Abbotts Prep School:
Pre-Prep extra-curricular options
After-school clubs take place on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 3.30pm-4pm, with ballet classes on Mondays.
They're open to children in PP2, PP3 and PP4 (Reception, Year 1 and Year 2).
The club themes change each term and include: Parachute Games; Indoor/Outdoor Games; Science and Nature Club; Music Club; Outdoor Art Club; Fabulous Food Cookery Club; Around the World Learning; Butterfly Club and Weather Club.
Trips and educational visits for the Pre-Prep
The Pre-Prep attends a topic-related school trip each term.
These have included Amberley Museum, Drusilla's Wildlife Park, The Sea Life Centre, Woods Mill Nature Reserve, Herstmonceux Science Museum, Weald and Downland Open Air Museum, the Shoreham Lifeboat Station and Goodwood Home Farm.
We often receive educational demonstrators and groups into school too such as Brighton and Hove Museum, theatre groups, storytellers, the police, the fire brigade and local artists and musicians.
Extra-curricular options for Main School pupils
Opportunities outside the classroom are an essential part of each pupil’s Main School journey.
In Main School, Friday afternoon activities are available to all children from Year 3 to Year 8. Different clubs are offered across terms:
- Shooting Club: supervised and using the School’s shooting range (Years 6 to 8)
- Lego Club: hosted by a 'Master Builder' in the Main School
- Let's Get Cooking: hosted in the Main School kitchen
- Gardening Club: using school greenhouses
- Coding Club: Arduino-based coding, applied to different IT platforms, for programming, on school premises
- Debating Club: on school premises
- Squash Club: at West Worthing Squash Club
- Summer Cricket: using the nets in the school grounds
- Tennis Club: on school courts
- Table Tennis Club: on school premises
- Mountain Biking Club: on the school grounds
- Chess and Board Games Club: on school premises
- Drama and Musicals: on school premises
- Anglo-Saxon History Club: on school premises
- Dance Club: on school premises
Trips and educational visits for Main School pupils
Overnight trips are introduced in Year 3 and other curriculum-based outings are important parts of our education. Visiting speakers, artists, authors and theatre visits add another level of interest and excitement to the programme of learning. Day and overseas trips include:
- RS trips to Canterbury Cathedral
- History trips to Bignor Roman Villa and Battle
- French trips to France, generally to Château de la Baudonnière, Normandy
- Science trips to the Big Bang UK Young Scientists & Engineers Fair, the largest celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) in the UK, and the Science Museum in London
- English trips to local theatre. Our Year 8s also take part in the philosophical and theological discussion seminars at Windlesham House. We will be attending the TEDx talks in Brighton 2017 and 2018.
- For Art, children are taken to galleries to see their work exhibited in galleries such as the Towner in Eastbourne and Worthing Art Gallery, as well as to other exhibitions and sculpture parks
- The Music department arranges for children to attend performances at Glyndebourne, Worthing, Brighton, Lancing College chapel and other locations
- At the end of their Common Entrance exams, Year 8 attends a much-anticipated end-of-term reward five-day water-sports trip to Cornwall.