The impressive neo-gothic building, which houses the Main School, was built for the Crofts family in about 1856 to the design of the eminent architect Philip Charles Hardwick. Then known as Sompting House, it replaced an older house also owned by the Crofts. The family lived there until circa 1920 when Mr. A.C. Rutherford relocated an established preparatory school, initially based in Brighton and subsequently in Bognor Regis, to Sompting House to become Sompting Abbotts Preparatory School.
In 1940 the school was evacuated to Wales but the death of Mr. Rutherford in 1942 resulted in its closure. Happily, thanks to the efforts of Mr. and Mrs. A.D. Sinclair, the school was re-established at Sompting Abbotts after the war and continues to this day as a family concern with its members playing a very active role in the running and welfare of the school. It is a member of the IAPS and caters for boys and girls from the age of two to thirteen.