Digital exploration at West Sussex private primary school, Sompting Abbotts Preparatory School
Decoding the future
Technology transforms the learning experience.
While we advise a sensible approach to over-use of technology in the home by monitoring your child's screen-time, we focus in school on how your child will need to use technology in the future.
Pupils at Sompting Abbotts, right from the Nursery stage, have access to an incredible amount of new digital opportunities.
From learning how to code to learning how to better collaborate across teams and with their teachers, technology is empowering our students to be more creative and more connected.
Sompting Abbotts has a dedicated IT suite with Chromebooks for all children in each Main School class. All classrooms are equipped with interactive Smart Boards and even our youngest children in the Pre-Prep have a class computer and digital tablets to learn from.
What will my child study?
In Years 5-8, children experience a variety of different aspects of IT and Computing. To reflect recent changes in the curriculum, elements of programming are covered using Scratch and code.org.
The essential skills of using the Google Apps software that mirror the Microsoft Office suite are a central part of learning in earlier years and are regularly revisited at every opportunity.
Children gain knowledge of digital media in their time at Sompting Abbotts to give them a diverse range of skills and a broad base of experience to build upon at senior school.
Being safe online and the considered use of social networking is also covered.
- Programming using code.org online.
- Children will move at their own pace through a set of graded activities which develops their programming skills and knowledge.
- They will be introduced to Scratch online, an online programming App.
- They will learn to draw and paint their own ‘Sprites’ (a programmable object).
- They will understand the difference between bitmap and vector images.
- They will develop problem-solving skills through online games
- They will explore web design by looking at existing web sites
- They will become familiar with the Google Web design App.
- They will create their own in-house web site having discussed suitability.
- They will study and understand Sprite control in Scratch.
- They will continue to progress independently with the code.org online course.
In the future, not knowing the language of computers will be as challenging as being illiterate or innumerate are today. Children in the main school who attend our weekly after-school Coding Club are learning how to programme with a project-based approach using Arduino code micro-controllers. Long term we hope to inspire as many children as possible to learn to code well.
- They will develop their spreadsheet skills by entering formulae in cells.
- They will learn SUM, MIN, MAX and others to solve challenges.
- They will continue and some of them will complete the code.org course.
- They will start using variables and functions.
- In Year 8, children will use the skills they have developed using code.org and Scratch to work their way through a book of challenges.
- In the Summer term, they will work towards building their own App. using Scratch, Google Script , Java Script, or any other application of their choice.